Ratatouille with beans
1 tablespoons olive oil
4 cloves garlic, minced
4 small Italian eggplants, peeled and chopped into 3/4 to 1 inch dice
1 red pepper, seeded and cut into 3/4 to 1 inch dice
1 yellow pepper, seeded and cut into 3/4 to 1 inch dice
1 orange pepper, seeded and cut into 3/4 to 1 inch dice
3 small zucchini, cut into 3/4 inch dice
1 yellow onion, cut into 1/2 inch dice
15 to 20 ounces beans (garbanzo, great northern, navy), canned, rinsed
2 cups tomatoes, crushed
1/4 cup fresh basil
2 tablespoons fresh thyme, chopped
1/2 to 1 tablespoon crushed red pepper flakes, according to taste
salt and pepper, to taste
- Spray olive oil in sauté pan. Add garlic and onion and heat until translucent. Add eggplant; season with salt and pepper and sauté for 1-2 minutes. Turn heat to low and cover to soften, about 4-5 minutes. Transfer to slow cooker or large deep casserole.
- Add peppers, zucchini, and garbanzo beans to slow cooker or large deep casserole.
- In a separate bowl, combine tomatoes, basil, thyme, red pepper flakes and remaining 2 tablespoons of olive oil. Blend and pour into slow cooker or large deep casserole. Mix to combine.
- Crock Pot, temp high for 4½-5 hours, until vegetables are softened or cover with foil and lid and bake in oven on 350 degrees for 1 hour.
- Adjust seasoning and serve. Garnish with cilantro or basil.
Adapted from Rival Crock Pot Slow Cooker Recipes for All Occasions